Friday, February 24, 2012

Join Question

Hi,
I am trying to do a JOIN on two tables where one table could have more than
one record however I only want the top one. Is there a way to do this in
the JOIN statement or do I have to seperate the JOIN into a sub select
statement?
ThanksWhat do you mean by "top one"? Tables have no inherent order so that phrase
doesn't mean anything on its own. You'll most likely need a self-join or a
subquery to achieve this but it does depend on requirements.
David Portas
SQL Server MVP
--
"Tim" <timmy@.timemail.com> wrote in message
news:OQBAvt6wFHA.2652@.TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
> I am trying to do a JOIN on two tables where one table could have more
> than one record however I only want the top one. Is there a way to do
> this in the JOIN statement or do I have to seperate the JOIN into a sub
> select statement?
> Thanks
>

No comments:

Post a Comment