Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Jump to Report Not Functioning Correctly

Hi all,
I'm having a problem with a series of reports I'm developing that allow the
user to design their own reports. They involve passing parameters (and
sometimes not passing parameters) between many different reports. The issue
I have is this:
I have an opening page with no parameters. When I jump to the next report
(using Jump to Report in Properties -> Navigation tab) it begins to load the
next report, but the parameter bar is missing (not hidden) and the report
itself doesn't load (although the report title is displayed in the top
frame).
If I use "Jump To URL", these issues appear to be less of a problem but
passing parameters is more difficult.
A couple of questions for you:
1) Has anyone else experienced this issue?
2) How can I pass parameters in a Jump to URL string, based on either report
parameters or report datasets?
I've had a look around on the forums and have found some similar problems,
which is why I ended up looking at the Jump to URL option. I haven't found
anyone with the same issue though. Can anyone help?!
Thanks in advance,
JonA little more information for you.
I've been trying to diagnose the issue, and I thought the problem was due to
passing parameters between reports but it now appears this isn't the case.
I have one report that has a subreport containing jumps to four other
reports. 3 of the reports do not work, but one does. None of the reports
require parameters to be passed, but the 3 that do not work have a parameter
that requires selection before the report will be shown.
If I place a default value in the report I'm jumping to, for the parameter
being passed (in this case, an ID for the report) it works fine. So the
issue appears to be when there is no default value for the parameter in the
report I'm jumping to. Unfortunately, I can't just set a default value in
this case.
Has anyone come across this or know a workaround other than setting a
default?
Thanks again,
Jon
"Jonathan Martin" <jonathan.martin@.pcservicecall.co.uk> wrote in message
news:%23SQ6CYsNFHA.3188@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hi all,
> I'm having a problem with a series of reports I'm developing that allow
> the user to design their own reports. They involve passing parameters
> (and sometimes not passing parameters) between many different reports.
> The issue I have is this:
> I have an opening page with no parameters. When I jump to the next report
> (using Jump to Report in Properties -> Navigation tab) it begins to load
> the next report, but the parameter bar is missing (not hidden) and the
> report itself doesn't load (although the report title is displayed in the
> top frame).
> If I use "Jump To URL", these issues appear to be less of a problem but
> passing parameters is more difficult.
> A couple of questions for you:
> 1) Has anyone else experienced this issue?
> 2) How can I pass parameters in a Jump to URL string, based on either
> report parameters or report datasets?
> I've had a look around on the forums and have found some similar problems,
> which is why I ended up looking at the Jump to URL option. I haven't
> found anyone with the same issue though. Can anyone help?!
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jon
>|||you have to set all parameters for the reports you are jumping to. This is
easier with the "Jump to Report" option - just click the Parameters button.
You can set hardcoded values are use other report items as input parameters.
For URL jumps - use "?paramenter_name=parameter_value" after the URL address
"Jonathan Martin" wrote:
> A little more information for you.
> I've been trying to diagnose the issue, and I thought the problem was due to
> passing parameters between reports but it now appears this isn't the case.
> I have one report that has a subreport containing jumps to four other
> reports. 3 of the reports do not work, but one does. None of the reports
> require parameters to be passed, but the 3 that do not work have a parameter
> that requires selection before the report will be shown.
> If I place a default value in the report I'm jumping to, for the parameter
> being passed (in this case, an ID for the report) it works fine. So the
> issue appears to be when there is no default value for the parameter in the
> report I'm jumping to. Unfortunately, I can't just set a default value in
> this case.
> Has anyone come across this or know a workaround other than setting a
> default?
> Thanks again,
>
> Jon
>
> "Jonathan Martin" <jonathan.martin@.pcservicecall.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:%23SQ6CYsNFHA.3188@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm having a problem with a series of reports I'm developing that allow
> > the user to design their own reports. They involve passing parameters
> > (and sometimes not passing parameters) between many different reports.
> > The issue I have is this:
> >
> > I have an opening page with no parameters. When I jump to the next report
> > (using Jump to Report in Properties -> Navigation tab) it begins to load
> > the next report, but the parameter bar is missing (not hidden) and the
> > report itself doesn't load (although the report title is displayed in the
> > top frame).
> >
> > If I use "Jump To URL", these issues appear to be less of a problem but
> > passing parameters is more difficult.
> >
> > A couple of questions for you:
> >
> > 1) Has anyone else experienced this issue?
> > 2) How can I pass parameters in a Jump to URL string, based on either
> > report parameters or report datasets?
> >
> > I've had a look around on the forums and have found some similar problems,
> > which is why I ended up looking at the Jump to URL option. I haven't
> > found anyone with the same issue though. Can anyone help?!
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> >
> > Jon
> >
>
>|||Unfortunately it's still causing issues with passing the parameter values.
It does work fine with passing the parameter through the URL though.
No idea why, but it's working!
Thanks for the help.
"jj#10" <jj10@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:DDB82610-A1B2-4518-AB28-20D55D6B4BEF@.microsoft.com...
> you have to set all parameters for the reports you are jumping to. This
> is
> easier with the "Jump to Report" option - just click the Parameters
> button.
> You can set hardcoded values are use other report items as input
> parameters.
> For URL jumps - use "?paramenter_name=parameter_value" after the URL
> address
> "Jonathan Martin" wrote:
>> A little more information for you.
>> I've been trying to diagnose the issue, and I thought the problem was due
>> to
>> passing parameters between reports but it now appears this isn't the
>> case.
>> I have one report that has a subreport containing jumps to four other
>> reports. 3 of the reports do not work, but one does. None of the
>> reports
>> require parameters to be passed, but the 3 that do not work have a
>> parameter
>> that requires selection before the report will be shown.
>> If I place a default value in the report I'm jumping to, for the
>> parameter
>> being passed (in this case, an ID for the report) it works fine. So the
>> issue appears to be when there is no default value for the parameter in
>> the
>> report I'm jumping to. Unfortunately, I can't just set a default value
>> in
>> this case.
>> Has anyone come across this or know a workaround other than setting a
>> default?
>> Thanks again,
>>
>> Jon
>>
>> "Jonathan Martin" <jonathan.martin@.pcservicecall.co.uk> wrote in message
>> news:%23SQ6CYsNFHA.3188@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I'm having a problem with a series of reports I'm developing that allow
>> > the user to design their own reports. They involve passing parameters
>> > (and sometimes not passing parameters) between many different reports.
>> > The issue I have is this:
>> >
>> > I have an opening page with no parameters. When I jump to the next
>> > report
>> > (using Jump to Report in Properties -> Navigation tab) it begins to
>> > load
>> > the next report, but the parameter bar is missing (not hidden) and the
>> > report itself doesn't load (although the report title is displayed in
>> > the
>> > top frame).
>> >
>> > If I use "Jump To URL", these issues appear to be less of a problem but
>> > passing parameters is more difficult.
>> >
>> > A couple of questions for you:
>> >
>> > 1) Has anyone else experienced this issue?
>> > 2) How can I pass parameters in a Jump to URL string, based on either
>> > report parameters or report datasets?
>> >
>> > I've had a look around on the forums and have found some similar
>> > problems,
>> > which is why I ended up looking at the Jump to URL option. I haven't
>> > found anyone with the same issue though. Can anyone help?!
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance,
>> >
>> >
>> > Jon
>> >
>>|||I am having a similar problem, but I use jump to report and it works fine in
development environment (i.e. visual studio), but does not work live.
"Jonathan Martin" wrote:
> Unfortunately it's still causing issues with passing the parameter values.
> It does work fine with passing the parameter through the URL though.
> No idea why, but it's working!
> Thanks for the help.
> "jj#10" <jj10@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:DDB82610-A1B2-4518-AB28-20D55D6B4BEF@.microsoft.com...
> > you have to set all parameters for the reports you are jumping to. This
> > is
> > easier with the "Jump to Report" option - just click the Parameters
> > button.
> > You can set hardcoded values are use other report items as input
> > parameters.
> >
> > For URL jumps - use "?paramenter_name=parameter_value" after the URL
> > address
> >
> > "Jonathan Martin" wrote:
> >
> >> A little more information for you.
> >>
> >> I've been trying to diagnose the issue, and I thought the problem was due
> >> to
> >> passing parameters between reports but it now appears this isn't the
> >> case.
> >>
> >> I have one report that has a subreport containing jumps to four other
> >> reports. 3 of the reports do not work, but one does. None of the
> >> reports
> >> require parameters to be passed, but the 3 that do not work have a
> >> parameter
> >> that requires selection before the report will be shown.
> >>
> >> If I place a default value in the report I'm jumping to, for the
> >> parameter
> >> being passed (in this case, an ID for the report) it works fine. So the
> >> issue appears to be when there is no default value for the parameter in
> >> the
> >> report I'm jumping to. Unfortunately, I can't just set a default value
> >> in
> >> this case.
> >>
> >> Has anyone come across this or know a workaround other than setting a
> >> default?
> >>
> >> Thanks again,
> >>
> >>
> >> Jon
> >>
> >>
> >> "Jonathan Martin" <jonathan.martin@.pcservicecall.co.uk> wrote in message
> >> news:%23SQ6CYsNFHA.3188@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> >> > Hi all,
> >> >
> >> > I'm having a problem with a series of reports I'm developing that allow
> >> > the user to design their own reports. They involve passing parameters
> >> > (and sometimes not passing parameters) between many different reports.
> >> > The issue I have is this:
> >> >
> >> > I have an opening page with no parameters. When I jump to the next
> >> > report
> >> > (using Jump to Report in Properties -> Navigation tab) it begins to
> >> > load
> >> > the next report, but the parameter bar is missing (not hidden) and the
> >> > report itself doesn't load (although the report title is displayed in
> >> > the
> >> > top frame).
> >> >
> >> > If I use "Jump To URL", these issues appear to be less of a problem but
> >> > passing parameters is more difficult.
> >> >
> >> > A couple of questions for you:
> >> >
> >> > 1) Has anyone else experienced this issue?
> >> > 2) How can I pass parameters in a Jump to URL string, based on either
> >> > report parameters or report datasets?
> >> >
> >> > I've had a look around on the forums and have found some similar
> >> > problems,
> >> > which is why I ended up looking at the Jump to URL option. I haven't
> >> > found anyone with the same issue though. Can anyone help?!
> >> >
> >> > Thanks in advance,
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > Jon
> >> >
> >>
> >>
> >>
>
>|||Is the URL mapped to the correct "live" server (i.e. Not http://localhost/...)
Message posted via http://www.sqlmonster.com|||URL is mapped correctly and remember I am using "jump to report"
"Corey Crumbaugh via SQLMonster.com" wrote:
> Is the URL mapped to the correct "live" server (i.e. Not http://localhost/...)
>
> --
> Message posted via http://www.sqlmonster.com
>|||My guess is that the report in question (that you are jumping to) has a
credential problem. Can you run the report you are trying to jump to by
itself?
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
"bamboo" <bamboo@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:A1910C53-32D2-40D2-BB75-D67AF6779793@.microsoft.com...
> URL is mapped correctly and remember I am using "jump to report"
> "Corey Crumbaugh via SQLMonster.com" wrote:
>> Is the URL mapped to the correct "live" server (i.e. Not
>> http://localhost/...)
>>
>> --
>> Message posted via http://www.sqlmonster.com|||I found that the problem is the 2nd report has to be runnable right away
(i.e. cannot prompt user to enter parameters when it is being executed from
another report). This is not a good function.
Thus, this goes back to what jonathan posed.
"Bruce L-C [MVP]" wrote:
> My guess is that the report in question (that you are jumping to) has a
> credential problem. Can you run the report you are trying to jump to by
> itself?
>
> --
> Bruce Loehle-Conger
> MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
> "bamboo" <bamboo@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:A1910C53-32D2-40D2-BB75-D67AF6779793@.microsoft.com...
> > URL is mapped correctly and remember I am using "jump to report"
> >
> > "Corey Crumbaugh via SQLMonster.com" wrote:
> >
> >> Is the URL mapped to the correct "live" server (i.e. Not
> >> http://localhost/...)
> >>
> >>
> >> --
> >> Message posted via http://www.sqlmonster.com
> >>
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment